Position: Merchandiser (Contemporary Handcrafts)
About Earthy Goods Foundation
We are a young non-profit that works with micro enterprises, non-profit livelihood based organisations and artisans to build their ability to create marketable products, meet market standards and earn a secure livelihood. Our purpose is to ensure that small producers do not get excluded from mainstream markets because of their inability to afford professional inputs in deployment of appropriate technology, new product development, quality assurance, packaging, certification & branding.
The core team of the foundation includes Sales, Marketing and CSR professionals from companies like Hindustan Unilever, ICICI Bank, IBM, MphasiS and Maersk, who have taken a conscious decision to work in this space. For more details on our work, please refer to our website www.earthygoods.co.in.
We are now staffing for key roles for a prestigious 5 year program that aims to bring together the finest artisans from across India on one platform where their skills and exceptional products can be showcased and marketed. This program will improve the Indian artisan’s direct access to markets, help them create contemporary products for urban consumers and markets, thereby earn a fair remunerative income from their craft and skills. We look forward to bring on board passionate professionals for the program.
This is a key role in the organization for a merchandising professional to help artisans create and deliver outstanding handmade products for discerning urban consumers. The merchandiser will work with product designers and artisans on one hand and the marketing team on the other to oversee production of 2-3 collections per year, in designated craft clusters across the country. S/He will handle the entire product life-cycle – sampling, production and order delivery for the signature range of products as well as custom orders. The craft forms include handwoven wool & silk, wood carving, glass work, rug weaving and marble inlay.
There are two key aspects to this role:
1. Market Research and Product development
• Research key product, consumer and customer trends to develop ideas for 2-3 signature collections every year
• Work with design team to train artisans on new product design and techniques
• Own the sampling, production and order delivery for each collection
• Create and maintain detailed archives of master craftsmen and their work
2. Artisan Engagement and Order Fulfillment
• Liase with marketing team to provide product recommendations specific to each customer
• Enage with customers on customization requirements
• Work closely with artisan partners to ensure order fulfilment and delivery
• Proactively address supply-side challenges to ensure a satisfactory customer experience
If you enjoy creating custom products, understand design, can work to deadlines and want to be part of a path-breaking initiative that is both creative and fulfilling, we’d encourage you to join our team. The role requires that you have prior experience in merchandising. The role will be supported by our marketing staff who will build a pipeline for products/orders and a strong design team which will work with the artisans to create contemporary innovvative products for the discerning consumer.
This role is Delhi-based.
1. Research and Design:
• Research key trends and work with design experts to develop product specifications for each craft form
• Identify and brief design experts to conduct training workshops for artisans selected
• Conduct training and sampling workshops with local artisan collectives with an emphasis on product quality, on raw material sourcing, production planning and costing
2. Product Development and Order Fulfillment
• Develop signature line of products based on market needs assessment, business targets and design inputs
• Liase with artisans to ensure order fulfillment
• Identify production and supply constraints proactively and resolve them
• Work with marketing team to suggest new products and artisans for campaigns and customer recommendations
• Build and maintain archives of the works of master craftsmen (as reference for future artisans and buyers)
• A design graduate from a leading and recognised institution with a specialisation in textiles OR hard goods
• Preferably with 2-4 years experience in a craft retail/export organization
Skills and Personality:
• Ability to work well in small teams and a start-up environment
Please email your resume to Aparna Sanjay at firstname.lastname@example.org